Gay activists arrested during sit-in at Shreveport Marine recruiting station
Create Post

Exclamation Gay activists arrested during sit-in at Shreveport Marine recruiting station

Gay activists arrested during sit-in at Shreveport Marine recruiting station

SHREVEPORT, La. Three people trying to draw attention to the military's policy not to accept openly gay members were arrested in Shreveport today after they occupied a Marine recruiting station and refused to leave.
    The arrests came after two openly gay people tried to enlist in the Marines. Recruiters told them they couldn't join after admitting they were gay.When the recruiter went to get a phone out of his car, the activists and about a dozen supporters went inside and staged a sit-in. Police were called and officers told them their points had been made and they needed to leave.Most got up and left but the activists and a supporter were arrested for trespassing when they refused.The military has a "don't ask, don't tell" policy when it comes to accepting homosexuals. Those arrested today were part of a nationwide effort by a group of young gay activists challenging that policy.(From KTBS-TV, Shreveport)

Ellie

Rachel Powell: Fight against 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' is under way
    September 12, 2006

The U.S. Marine Corps uses its tagline to boast: "The few. The proud. The Marines." The Marines are known for being the best of the best. I am a young, competent individual fit for military service and genuinely interested in joining the Marines. One problem: I am gay.

The military has a "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy, which bans openly gay, lesbian and bisexual people from serving in the military. Since its inception in 1993, over 10,000 gay soldiers have been discharged at a cost of $364 million to taxpayers. To successfully enlist as openly gay, I would have to join in the silence of the 65,000 closeted gays and lesbians currently serving.

The Soulforce Right to Serve Campaign is a challenge to "Don't Ask, Don't Tell." Openly gay youth in 30 cities across America will attempt to enlist in the military this fall. Last week, my friend Eddie (also gay) and I already made the first attempt and were locked out of the center, something that would never happen to a straight person.

I want to bring this campaign directly to the people of Shreveport for two reasons. First, Soulforce is an organization founded on nonviolent direct action. We believe while it is important for organizations to lobby Congress and mobilize voters, direct action is a necessary component of doing justice. Further, youth have played an integral role in every civil rights movement. Bringing the Right to Serve Campaign to Shreveport gives young people the chance to get involved in a way that lobbying Congress does not. Second, when the citizens of Shreveport and Louisiana's representatives in the House see the effects of government-sanctioned discrimination, it is my hope they will encourage tossing out the ban once and for all by signing onto the Military Readiness Enhancement Act.

Eddie and I returned to the Marines center Tuesday and tried to enlist once more, and upon rejection began a sit-in. Those interested in supporting my and Eddie's right to serve our country can go to www.righttoserve.com to find out more about, register for, and donate to the Shreveport action. I encourage you all to follow our story and see what happens when young, fit, competent "" and gay "" people such as Eddie and myself try to serve our country.

Shreveporter Rachel Powell is a member of Soulforce, a gay rights organization.

The media always picks up the bad news

Ellie

Thread Information